12 November 2008

Autumn Update


Autumn is on its last leg in Vancouver. Everyone complains about the gray skies and dampness, but Ami and I have been enjoying it. Seriously. While others mumble and curse the frumpy weather, we smile at the fact the rain isn't coming in sideways. I'm in awe some days that our rain boots and umbrellas actually work. Unlike Wellington (or Limerick, or Wichita), you can go for a stroll in the rain and be confident that the only part of your body that will get wet is your feet (assuming you have an umbrella).

I've also been making large pots of soup for dinner--tonight was chunky potato, and it was so good I danced around the kitchen. We'll kick our boots off in the hallway, sit down for hot soup or chili, enjoy a bottle of wine or a few beers (or both), and get cozy in our little attic apartment.

Work is going well, too, although Ami's been pulling extra hours lately. She worked today (a holiday) and helped out at one of the stores on Sunday. She's tired when she gets home, but she'll be well compensated for it. Nood is giving her an extra day's holiday on 2 January, plus she'll be paid double for working on Sunday. Not bad. She also brought home a cool pot from Nood for all my soup-making needs.

I'm finishing up my work with Trader. I've been building the CSS/HTML layouts for their new real estate site. It was supposed to end three months ago, but they've kept me on until mid December. To be honest, I'll be happy when it's over. I've also been working on a new project with my friend Phil. He's works as a writer, but the boy has a very good eye for design. He's designed--and I've built--a new website for our freelance hub, Taft Media Design Group. Have a look. Tell me if anything sucks.

Winter may be long, wet, and cold, but with the number of friends and family members we'll be entertaining over the next few months, it'll be spring before we know it.

We look forward to seeing you all.

4 comments:

Darrell said...

Enjoyed your comments. So, the website is a work in progress, right? Then you probably know the contact us link on the left doesn't go anywhere. Also, the links across the top don't go anywhere either. Do you want the pull-down panels to stay open when you select another one? I see you can click twice to close them, but I would think opening one would close the other.

Tinbum said...

I've said the same thing in London about enjoying the fact the rain comes straight down. Nobody appreciates rain like I do, even more so now that I can use an umbrella and it doesn't get blown inside out. I just have to not lose umbrellas as often as I do (I'm onto umbrella number 4).

Pat said...

I like the site. I like the little clicky uppy downy things (sorry for the technical jargon) on the right hand side. Neat! Of course, I'm especially fond of the honor you've given our greatest (weighing in at over 300 pounds) US president, William Howard Taft by naming the endeavor after him. Bravo!

Dakin said...

sideways rain, huh? you just wait. it's coming. not for me though; I'm peacing out to the land of wildfires and drought. (Which is somehow better? W/e, at least I get the beach.)