05 October 2008

Thirty-One


On the first of October 1977, I was putting my mother and father (but mostly my mother) through tremendous agony. Thirty-one years later and not much has changed.

To say my mother is timid would be like claiming Rambo is eloquent and precise. Her yearning for adventure and her nimble way around obstacles taught me a lot about value. Namely, that it's subjective. While I admire folks who can force their way to victory, obliterating confrontation, I tend to favor those who know when a fight just isn't worth it. So I would like to thank my mother for teaching me how to say "screw it."

My father, on the other hand, couldn't be more different if he were a piece of furniture (for which he's been mistaken on more than one occasion). His calm, calculated demeanonor not only saved me hours of math homework, but also saved himself hundreds of dollars of broken machinery. You see, dad's the kind of guy who reads the instructions. I, on the other hand, tended to force things into place and if they didn't go, I'd smash them with the nearest blunt object. For example, instead of letting me tear the air and oil filter from the old Chevy, he calmly showed me the correct way to use tools. So I would like to thank my father for teaching me how to "unscrew it."

Thanks mom and dad; if it weren't for all your screwing, I wouldn't be here.

3 comments:

ZiglioNZ said...

So... were you born on the 1st or on the 5th?
In the first case, that's the same day as our son Marcello!
http://picasaweb.google.com/ziglionz/MarcelloSSecondBirthdayPartyDayAtStaglands#

Happy birthday to you too!

Libby said...

Awesome post little bro! Can't wait to see you here in a couple of weeks and have you meet your nephew...he is, ummmm, pretty much like you.

Darrell said...

The pleasure was all ours.