28 March 2008

Some Things I Will Miss About Wellington

New Zealand had been home since 2003. And while my first years were spent in the deep south town of Invercargill, Wellington has been the scene of my fondest southern hemisphere memories. From ducking into cozy Cuba St. clubs, to rubbing elbows with the suits on lower Lambton Quay near Parliament. So before I flew out on 26 March, I snapped a few pics of some things I will miss about Wellington.

Waiting for the train at Plimmerton Station



Only rarely did I get the chance to catch the train here (my regular spot was Porirua/Titahi Bay, being that it was where I actually lived). The beach is 20 meters away and the old surrounding architecture feels welcoming.


This part of this street



I had a contract with a government department that was on the other side of this street, and I for the whole year I pause here as I walked across. I really can't explain why, but it just struck me.


Paranoid pedestrians, and the reckless drivers who make them so



A pedestrian is hit by a car in Wellington more than once a week. About a year ago the city council pushed out a huge "don't be a bloody moron" advertising campaign that made pedestrians out to be little more than wandering cattle. At first I was a little upset, being a pedestrian myself and observing boy racers hooning around town. Yet after witnessing a few of these accidents first hand, though, I really can't say who's at fault.

Trisha's Pies



My good friend Nick introduced my to Trisha's Pies. I will forever be in his debt. (X-large winter vegetable pie pictured here)

Emerson's range of organic beers



Goes down lovely with a pie from Trisha's


The Chinese busker who plays the Morin Khur



He was without-a-doubt my favorite busker in Wellington. I always carried a few dollars in my pocket in the chance I might see him--and on my last day in town, luck had it that he was playing in the tunnel to the train station. Amazing how hey plays on the wall too, eh? Now THAT'S talent.


Seeing the word "New Zealand/Aotearoa" in signage



Kinda like that one part of that one street (mentioned above), I can't describe why I like seeing this, but I really do.


Agapanthas at Wellington Central Station



The trains may not have run on time, but they sure did look pretty sitting there.

2 comments:

Libby said...

Yea - you are a few thousand miles closer to visit.

I really enjoyed the NZ photos - I'm sure you love getting back there in a few years too!

Tinbum said...

Hmmmm... Trisha's Pies. I'm sure they will go out of business now that both you and I have left the country.