05 October 2007

Happy Birthday to Me

I've had quite a few people berate (well, berate is a strong word. "Remind" is closer to the truth) me about my lack of posting in these past few months. My excuse is the same as any other blogger who suddenly falls silent for weeks: I've been busy. Yet since this is the end of this blogging adventure, I found I had to post one last time for the sake of closure, if nothing else.

30 is the new 20. This is what I've been telling people. I'm hoping that if I say it long enough, I'll begin to believe it. Rather than join the echoing chorus chanting "I really don't feel any different than I did five years ago," I'm going so far as to say 30 is rad--as long as you haven't given up, that is. This seems to be the obstacle folks can't hurdle. People are so afraid of the idea of 30 that they fall prey to one if its biggest fallacies: that when you turn 30 you can't keep up with the kids.

Bollocks.

You know how fashions tend to repeat themselves? That because you're defining the styles that your children will mimic. Cool, eh?

Right. Off to get pissed. Be well friends.

Jamie

4 comments:

Lara said...

Happy Birthday, James. I've been 30 since April, and I have to say I think 30 is the new 30. Better than ever. I wouldn't really want to go back to being 20, would you?

(I surfed over from Libby's blog.)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Nephew. Beware! Life speeds up when your over the hill. The next thirty will be a blur so fast you won't believe it! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites! Moderation is for monks.

Kent

Dance Hall Hips said...

Dance Hall Hips here.

Wanted to let you know I've changed URls to http://dancehallhips.wordpress.com

-Jon

Tinbum said...

I'm 34 in just over a month and the kids here in London seem to be trying to keep up with me. Lead by example I say!